Being pregnant is an exciting time. It is also one of great change both physically and emotionally. Studies by Dr Gowri Motha, author of The Gentle Birth Method, have shown that Mums receiving regular Reflexology and Massage throughout pregnancy benefit in many ways. It has been shown that there is a marked reduction in the duration of labour and a reduction in their need for pain relief. Research shows that the unborn baby can be affected by stress levels experienced by its mother during pregnancy. Babies of mothers receiving massage and reflexology during pregnancy appear calmer as these therapies help mum relax, supporting her body through a period of great psychological and physical change. This allows the Baby to develop inside the womb within an atmosphere of calm and tranquillity.
Massage & Reflexology in pregnancy may also help:
- Ease and support an aching back.
- Lessen the discomfort of Pelvic Girdle Pain (PGP)
- Soothe swollen legs and disperse fluid retention.
- Boost energy levels and relieve fatigue.
- Lessen the experience of morning sickness.
- Calm and regulate a stressed digestive system.
- Strengthen the urinary tract and pelvic floor muscles. Encourage a healthy and strong internal environment for the baby to grow.
- Promote homeostasis, or balance, when all bodily systems are working harmoniously.
- Prepare your body for the journey of childbirth.
This treatment costs £50 for 60mins, £65 for 75mins and £75 for 90mins. I use Grace Organic Massage Wax and organic Rosehip Seed Oil with Vitamin A, scented with mandarin essential oil, which assists with cell regeneration and has been used successfully to reduce and prevent stretch marks.